Friday, September 11, 2009

"You look very American"

I was told this yesterday by a cousin. I don't mind this at all, but I was hoping not to stick out too much while spending time in the city with everyone that looks very, very Serbian.

Some of you might like to know that I have only gone one day without drinking Slivo. Serbs here don't drink Slivo like the American Serbs that I know. They sip it, we shoot it. I've had a hard time trying to savor and enjoy the flavor like they do. Maybe by October it will be easier to drink. I'm hoping.

With the help of two cousins, I have spent the last three days getting to know Beograd. Seperately,they have taken me around the city and have shown me the sights. Vukasin is my 2nd or 3rd cousin. He is great and has taken me out twice. The first evening we walked around Beograd at night. We saw the Kalamegdon Fortress (it's one of the oldest fortresses in Serbia and there's a lot of history there), the we walked around and took in Beograd at night. He speaks very good english and is great company. Vukasin also took me out last night. I experienced a few bus rides, a large city park and lake, a boat ride across the Sava river, a palchinke filled with cheese and hyvar, and some of Beograd's oldest streets. I hope he doesn't get sick of me because I'm really enjoying our time together.

I have also been shown around by Matije. He and a few friends have shown me some fun parts of Beograd. We went to a cafe and had some espresso....most places don't have coffee...and you can't get it to go either. He also introduced me to Serbian pizza. I don't love it, but it was cheap and convenient...and most people put kechup on it.


On Sunday we are going to Bosnia to spend time with more family. We will be there a week and although I am excited to meet my cousins, not one of them speaks a word of english. It's been very hard to communicate so far and there is only so much I can sit and listen to before I need to find something new to do. I think we will see a lot of Serbian Orthodox Monasteries, small serbian villages, and the countryside. Vukasin and Matije are making fun of me because, in their opinion, Bosnia isn't one of the most desirable places to visit. I'm hoping my cousins will have internet so I can keep posting.

I was told by Matije and his friends that if I can handle Beograd,the rest of the Europe will be a piece of cake. I then told them of my upcoming plans to vist Kenya. They told me that it won't be anything compared to Kenya, that it should be a breeze. I'll hold them to it. They also can't understand why I would choose Serbia as my first country to visit in Europe. It wasn't up to me, it was up to my baka...she bought the tickets...though serbia was at the top of my list.

The weather here is beautiful. Much like September in Nebraska. Warm days and cool nights. No rain as of yet and I'm really looking forward to see the leaves change colors. Hopefully that happens while I am here.

The food is out of this world. Even though there is meat, there isn't much else...as in additives or manufactured food. They visit the markets everyday and prepare what is available. Lots of fresh salads, soups, fruit, and everyday we eat a new kind of bread that was baked in the downstairs bakery. So different from my way of eating back home.

The only thing that I'm not too keen on is the smoking. Nearly everyone smokes...and they smoke a lot. I don't mind smoking all that much, but as soon as people put one cigarette out, they light up another one. I really have to get used to this. And cigarettes are about $1.50 a pack, american. Oh, and you can smoke inside, everywhere. I will have to get used that as well, and quick.

My cold is slowly going away, and I can almost breath without the aid of medicine. I'm very happy about this.

Well, I better be going. It's almost time for lunch! Tonight I'm having dinner with two cousins that want to work on their english. I'm really excited about having dinner in beograd. I haven't eaten out here yet and I'm excited to experience it.

Ciao! (everyone says this here)
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment