Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I don't speak Serbian

My new phrase for today is just that. If you were to say it, phonetically it would look like this: nyet govoryou serbski. I then say, govoryou angliski. This will really come in handy. As well as "excuse me", "please", "thank you", and "what's that".

I had the chance to have Costa Cafe. It's the Italian Starbucks here in serbia. As luck would have it, the one thing I wanted was coffee, and that was the one thing that wasn't on the menu. you can get espresso any way that you like it, but not coffee. I had espresso with cream....their interpretation of cream is whipped cream...and it was really good. I think tomorrow I will have a macchiato.

I am staying with cousins that live in Old Belgrade. This is the oldest part of the city. Parliament is here, lots of Serbian Orthodox Churches, and monuments.

My cousins go to the market everyday....they are small little shops that have produce, meats, cheeses, etc. The market they go to is in the basement shop of the apartment building. It's very convenient. Instead of calling their food "local" they call it "domestic." Most of the food we eat is domestic. We eat very European. A light breakfast in the morning and then a very big lunch around 2 or 3. Then a very light dinner is served. The food today was great. Lots of veggies and homemade apple pie and more coffee for dessert.

Their apples (yablika) are amazing. I've never had better. Along with Bananas! I love bananas but theirs have an better taste to them. They aren't Chiquita or Del Monte; maybe that's why.

I told some of you that I want to do some traveling while I am here. Turns out that my family won't let me go alone. Surprise. We met with a travel agent today to see what group tours are available. I should know in a few days where I will get to venture to.

Tonight I am going to hang out with my cousin. We can't meet up until 9 since the Serbian basketball team has a game...they beat spain last night. I'm really looking forward to it....and he speaks good english!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Anna! Glad to hear you have fun and seeing a lot of your family. Tell Baka hi and can't wait to see another post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna. I hope you are having fun in Serbia. Since your a vegetarian, stick to the lamb. HaHa! I hate to have to tell you this on your blog, but I'M ENGAGED!!!!!! I would love for you to be a bridesmaid. The wedding is planned for Sept. 18 next year so I would love for you to be there. Can't wait to see you when you get home.

    ReplyDelete