Tuesday, September 29, 2009

One week left

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Chinatown. That will have to be saved for this weekend. My baka and cousin Vukasin don't understand why I have the desire to go there, but I would like to see it and maybe find some fun things to bring home.

I spent the afternoon and evening with Ana. She works in downtown Beograd and it was easy to hop on the bus and meet up with here. We snacked on some ice cream from a street vendor and then walked around. I was able to buy my mom and brother gifts but nothing yet for myself. I managed to find a pair of boots that I fell in love with, but then I saw the price tag. 18,000 Dinars. Before you fall off your chair, relax. It's a little less than $300, but a lot more than I wanted to pay for a pair of boots, even though they were awesome I'll have to keep looking.

I needed some stamps and I told Ana (to appease my Aunt Lisa) to take me to the Main Poshta (post office). I was sad to see that there weren't any gifts that I could pick up for Lisa, but I think she will be very happy with the stamp and postcard that she will recieve in the mail.

Next, Ana took me to Sveti Marko. St Mark's Church. It's huge and beautiful. We lit some candles, I took some pictures, we said a prayer and then left to get some coffee. My baka attended services there when she was a kid and it was neat to be able to visit.

My baka has a thing for chocolate and we haven't had chocolate since the first day we were in Serbia. Ana and I went to Ana's favorite Bakery, appropriately titled Present, and bought all kinds of Tortes. We got home and all sampled from the pieces. I ended up liking the one vanilla/walnut torte the best. It was was great to try many different Serbian desserts on one plate.

I'm hopefully meeting up with Ana's nephew, matije. We made plans to see a few museums and art galleries. Ana tried to take me yesterday, but all the museums are closed on Mondays.

I think it's about time for lunch. Boshko is making us Serbian Goulash. I can smell the garlic from upstairs on this computer. Oh, and I tried the honey from the Monastery, it was so tasty. I don't know much about honey processing, but this still had one or two processes to go through, it is very thick and you can almost eat it with a spoon. I've never had honey like this.

Boshko's calling. I better go. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment