Sunday, September 13, 2009

Off to Bosnia

I'm just finishing breakfast and getting ready for Boshko to come and take us on the 4 hour ride to Bosnia. We are going to spend a (english free) week with my cousin Rada in Banya Luka. I keep saying "cousin"...most of them are my cousins, but they range in age from 2yrs to 70.

I'm hoping that my passport gets stamped when we enter both countries.

I spent another fun night in Beograd with Vukasin. He took the bus over and we walked around the city for a while. I told him that I really wanted some ice cream...or the gelatto that they sell in the streets. He suggested that we go to McDonald's. You may be surprised that I was more than happy to go. This is because I have never seen more nice mcdonald's than the one's in Beograd. It's more like a treat to eat in one here as opposed to eating in one in the US. I was happy to fill my craving for American junkfood. I was, however, dissapointed in the face that they didn't have oreos to flavor my McFlurry. I settled on kit kat and it couldn't have been better. I also had their fries. Here they are curly and taste just like Arby's fries. Vukasin had a big mac. It may not have been on my Beograd To Do List, but I'm so happy that we went there.

Vukasin and I then strolled around and window shopped. We are in talks to buy matching Nike's...or Ray Ban's. We'll see what happens. He also took me around to see the more expensive part of town and the nice restaurants. I was happier to have had McFlurrys with him at McDonald's.

We also made plans for what I am calling, Vukasin and Anna's Serbian Adventure 2009. More details on this later, but it involves some day trips, some smaller villages, lots of Serbian food, and a few long bus rides. I'm really excited about our plans. We also walked by a Vegetarian Restaurant! Yes, you read that right. I told Vukasin that going to that restaurant was just added to my Serbian To Do List and he said he would happily be my guest. I'm REALLY looking forward to that...and maybe an Italian restaurant. I'm in the mood for some lighter fare without meat and lots of dairy. I might just have to wait another week till I can get it.

I'm bummed that I have to leave Beograd just as I am figuring out the city. I know my way around this part of town and have no problem getting from place to place. Even though my baka and my hosts were really hesitant about me leaving for a walk yesterday afternoon, I finally convinced them that I would be ok for an hour. After a long discussion and promissing to carry a cell phone, I ventured out on my own. I went to a cafe and bought an iced americano all on my own! It felt so great that I then went to a pharmacy and bought some lotion. Serbia look out...I can be on my own.

On Friday night yet another cousin and his girlfriend took me out. We had a drink a Kalemegdan Fortress and then had popcorn from a street vender, "the best popcorn street vendor" in their opinion. It was great to be with more people that speak english. I don't mind listening to Serbian, but I just can't keep up. They are both students and it was fun comparing american universities to their "faculties."

I'm hoping that Bosnia will have abundant internet, thought don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a week:)

Boshko will be here any minute and I better make sure that all of our things are gathered.

Till my next post....(hopefully it's from Bosnia and soon:)

Anna

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anna:
    Enjoying your blog. Just read that you were thinking about going to Prague - you should! Jane and I loved it there. Have fun!
    Aunt Bette

    ReplyDelete