Friday, September 4, 2009

And so it begins!

Welcome to my blog! I'm new at this and it may be touch and go for a while until I get it all figured out. I leave for Serbia tomorrow, Sept 5th. My grandma (baka) and I are traveling to see family and we are flying to the capitol city of Belgrade (or Beograd) depending on how you want to pronounce it.

This is my second attempt to head east. I tried last October but then my grandpa fell ill and my plans changed.

I'm just about packed....thought way over packed. I feel that I can add a few extra pieces of clothing since I don't really know what to expect out of this trip. I hear that the weather is very similar to Omaha in September...so that means that it could be anywhere from 45 degress to 90. It doesn't make it very easy to pack light. Add on the whole converting to celcius and I am clueless as to what I will be wearing while I am there. Luckily, my baka insists that I pack on the side of more cloting than on less. You can also take two checked bags on international flights for free...so why not? She wants me to look nice since I am kind of representing our side of the family, not to mention, the United States...kind of. This makes me feel a little bit better about packing a black AND brown jacket. I do have to remember to coordinate.

A lot of people have asked what I will be doing in Serbia. This is a good question. I don't know exactly. What I do know is that we will be staying with multiple relatives throughout the trip and seeing a lot of the country. Gettin' in touch with my roots. I'm half Serbian. I am also crossing my fingers that my family will be brave and let me venture off on my own. I would love to see the Mediterranean Sea in Croatia. I also want to travel to one other country and get a feel of more of Eastern Europe. I have had many people tell me to travel to Prague. That sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

The only thing that I am not too pumped about is the cold that I have caught. I think I got it on the plane ride from Washington, D.C. to Omaha. My body is aching and I'm hoping (almost even praying) for it not to be the flu. I can handle a cold, I just don't want to deal with it in a foreign country. For those of you who don't know, I just came back from a three week journey that took me to Vancouver (it's awesome!, go there), then to the Boston area for some family time and a cousin's weddng, and then to Virginia for some time with friends. I had an amazing time with everyone and I am grateful to all my wonderful hosts.

I plan on updating this blog as often as I can. I'm sure I will have a much better idea of what my trip will look like when we pull into town. Just a quick jump to Chicago, and then to Munich (and maybe some cheap birkenstocks), and then finally to Beograd. I plan on sleeping off this bug.

Looking forward to updating soon!
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment