Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Back to Beograd

My baka and I drove back to Beograd, Serbia yesterday. It takes about 4.5 hours. The weather was hot yesterday and there was no airconditioning. Needless to say, I was very happy to get out of the car.

For this week my baka and I are staying with our Cousin Boshko. He is one of my mom's first cousins. He lives with his wife, Ana, and their two kids, Petar and Militsa. Boshko doens't speak english but Ana does and the kids are learning. I've had a lot of fun talking to them so far. Boshko lives about 20 minutes west of Beograd on a little town that used to be a village. It is now considered Beograd. His house sits on a hill and overlooks the Danube River. The view is great and I'm looking forward to sitting on their deck to read and maybe getting some sun. They also have a great internet connection which I am excited about. I've almost read all the books I have and they don't have a TV. There is only so much to do when your family doesn't want you to venture out on your own.

I asked about going into the city and catching a bus but they were very against the idea. I don't think they understand that I now know certain parts of Beograd and could get around just fine. I'm getting antsy just sitting around. Our family is used to both my grandparents coming and relaxing the entire time. I've gotten plenty of rest, I want to get out of the house.

I am very happy to report that my family in Banja Luka sent us away with gifts. Vojo and his wife Saida sent us away with homemade plum jam, Dara sent us with honey that was made on her land and a jewelry box for me, and Sasha sent me away with grape rakije made by his friend Marko. My mom was right when she said I would get to try booze made in someone's basement:) I'm really excited about these things; they are exactly what I wanted to take home with me. Just don't tell customs. I'm also hoping to score a bottle of Slivovica before I leave.

Boshko is taking my baka and I out to dinner this evening. I'm really looking forward to it. He plays in a band on the side and hopefully before we leave I'll get to hear them play. Ana has the best coffee that I have had so far and she made the most amazing plum dumplings last night.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment