Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mmm....Veal

So, I have been eating a lot of meat in Bosnia and Herzgovenia. My baka won't tell my family that I prefer not to eat meat. Since meat is expensive and they all but cut it for me and feed me, I feel obligated to eat it. I have told her more than once to not tell me what I am eating....since it is usually veal, and to me, eating veal is worse than eating steak or pork.

I'm pretty sure that I ate every animal off the food chain yesterday. It was Rada's birthday and we went to a nice restaurant looking over the Vrbas River. It was great but our main course was a meat platter. They kept loading my plate up and I couldn't put it back on the platter.

Yesterday was the first and last time that I will every knowingly eat liver. That's a BIG PASS next time it gets served to me. It had been years since I ate bacon and I definately did not pass on that. Lunch here is a loose term. We met at 4 and didn't leave till 8.

I am still good drinking some form of Rakije everyday before a meal. I've only gone 2 days without it:) It's unavoidable....it's already poured for me before I even sit down. I'm glad that I will have lunch with Vojo today. He drinks his rakije like a shot and doesn't sip it. This way we can both drink it fast...why you would want to savor the drink is beyond me.

We were supposed to leave for Belgrade today but our ride, Boshko, got in a car accident with a city bus and can't drive. He is ok but his car isn't. A family friend will take us tomorrow. We will stay at Boshko's with his family for a week. He doesn't live close to downtown belgrade...more of like a suburb. I really like beograde and hope I can spend time in the city again.

I may have to check my Cholesterol when I get home. Along with eating meat, I've had a lot of butter products. Yesterday I was going to put Kajmuck on my fresh, fried rolls that Rada made, before i could just get a knife full, she had taken a spoon and put 3/4 a cup of it on my plate. I couldn't put it back so I ended up eating all that butter. It was really good though.

I was glad to go on a long hike with my cousin Sasha after that big breakfast. We walked 10 Km which is think is 7 miles. He took me to the top of a hill that overlooked all of Banja Luka. It was great but my legs are definatly sore today. Along the way we saw an abandoned bear den that we got to check out. Don't worry mom, bears haven't been in those hills for decades. He then took me to see a fortress/castle. Haven't not spent much time outside the US, I get really excited to see things that are so old.

Sasha's friend Marko promised me some homemade Rakije (pear whiskey). I'm really hoping he keeps the promise and drops it off today. I would love to bring that home and share it. Vojo's wife is also going to bring me some homemade plum jam. Most of the food here is homemade and local...no preservatives or additives...and you can really taste the difference. I am going to have to bring recipes home with me. This morning for breakfast, Rada made homemade bread and we had lots of local spreads including a local cheese. It was awesome.

I really miss drip coffee. Most of what is here is instant. I do like all the espresso, but there is something about the coffee that I am used to drinking.

It's another warm day. I love the sun but I could do without the humidity.

My time is up. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment