Friday, October 2, 2009

Rakije

So I may or may not have had 6 shots of Rakije last night. (Hear that Tony? Be ready when i get home...oh and they also say Nostrovia sometimes (that's what Tony's polish family says instead of Cheers)).

I went out with my baka, Boshko and Ana to a restaurant last night named, It Is What It Is (translated). What it was, was fantastic. I think I had one of the greatest, if not the best meal of my life. The evening was planned because Boshko's friend was in town from France and wanted a night of drinking, eating, and listening to Boshko and his friends play music. The evening started with Rakije and ended with Rakije. There was so much food. Fresh bread, spinach pita, salad with a cheese that melted in your mouth and soup. Then the main course came out, it was lamb and potatoes and it had been cooking all day long on hot coals. I haven't had lamb in about 6 years and it tasted even better than I remembered. (Don't think that I'll be eating all this meat when I come home. I plan on going back to my vegetarian ways). After we were finished eating, Boshko and his friends started playing and played till well after midnight. Even though I didn't know the words, most of the songs were familiar to me and I really enjoyed listening to them.

Last night, our table consisted of two Americans, three Serbians, and one Russian. It was very multicultural, and frustrating. The Russian didn't understand much Serbian, I don't understand either language, and one of the Serbs didn't understand english. There was a lot of translating going on.

Boshko was surprised that I didn't have an hangover from all that Rakije. I told him that I drink a lot of water and that seems to help. I also haven't had the chance to go out and drink more than a beer or two, so I figured that night was as good as any to really enjoy myself. Also, it makes it a lot easier to pass time when not everyone at the table speaks english.

I was hoping to go with Vukasin to Skedarlia tonight. It's a long street full of restaurants and musicians. It's still nice enought to be outside at night and I wanted to eat and listen to music. Though, I think I got the best show last night and don't want to spoil it with hearing music that isn't up to Boshko's quality. That, and we will be going out tomorrow night to hear Boshko sing again. So now I have to think of something else to do tonight that is very authentic and Serbian.

Yesterday, I met some people from Utah. They were asking a street vendor how much 100 dinars is in US Dollars. I was more than happy to chime in and help them out and tell them what I knew about the city.

This afternoon, I'm going with Ana to check out a chain for my brother. I've spent so much engergy getting this kid nice things from Serbia. I can't wait to see what he gets me for Christmas...hint, hint.

Ciao!
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment